Remember, the 2020 Census is important because, it:
- Determines representation in Congress and impacts local legislative districts
- Is the basis for funding critical programs and services
- Assists local decision-making for economic development, school construction, transportation projects, public health, public safety and emergency planning
What to Expect:
, every home will receive an invitation to participate in the 2020 Census. You will have three options for responding:
In , households will begin receiving official Census Bureau mail with detailed information on how to respond to the 2020 Census.
Who To Count
Count Everyone Under Your Roof
If you are filling out the census for your home, you should count everyone who is living there as of April 1, 2020. This includes any friends or family members who are living and sleeping there most of the time. If someone is staying in your home on April 1, and has no usual home elsewhere, you should count them in your response to the 2020 Census. Please also be sure to count roommates, young children, newborns, and anyone who is renting a space in your home. These people are often missed in the census. This means they can miss out on resources for themselves and their communities over the next 10 years.
Counting Young Children
- All children who live in your home, including foster children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, and the children of friends (even if they are living with you temporarily).
- Children who split their time between homes, if they are living with you on April 1, 2020.
- Newborn babies, even those who are born on April 1, 2020, or who are still in the hospital on this date
2020 Census Jobs
It’s not too late to apply for a temporary part-time position with the 2020 Census. Apply to earn extra income and help your community.
2020 Census Application Assistance
Although some of the activities undertaken by the US Census Bureau have been adjusted or delayed, self response to the 2020 Census continues through October 31. The Census can be completed online, by phone or by mail.
Please visit https://my2020census.gov/ to ’Take the Census’ for the .
You can choose to complete the census online, by phone, or by mail. Find out more about each of these methods below:
Did you hear our ad on the radio? Well, if you did, you will know that we are giving away 2020 Census swag items to the first 50 residents that complete the census application! Just submit a copy of your census confirmation submission through the Town of Capitol Heights Census Giveaway form to be entered into the giveaway!