Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Jamie Caswell
Pepco, Communications 202-872-2680 (media hotline)
WASHINGTON, D.C. (April 16, 2020) – To offer continued assistance for customers impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, Pepco is extending its customer support policies, through at least June 1 and in alignment with each of Pepco’s jurisdictions, which include suspending service disconnections, waiving new late fees, and reconnecting customers who were previously disconnected.
The company’s COVID-19 policies, designed to help ensure all customers have access to safe and reliable electric service during this critical time, launched in mid-March with Pepco’s announcement to suspend service disconnections and waive new late payment charges for all of our customers. The commitment was extended shortly thereafter to reconnect customers who previously had their power disconnected. Residents who have had their electric service previously disconnected should contact the company at 202-833-7500 to begin the reconnection process. As the pandemic continues, Pepco continues to identify opportunities to help customers today and into the future.
“We recognize the impact of COVID-19 on our customers and communities has been significant, with many experiencing financial difficulties and uncertainty about the future,” said Dave Velazquez, Pepco president and CEO. “We remain committed to every customer through difficult times, and we will continue to support our communities in need, both now and as we work to recover. We will power through this pandemic together.”
Customers who may be challenged in paying their bill should contact Pepco Customer Care as soon as possible at 202-833-7500. Pepco will work closely with customers to waive late payment fees, avoid having their service shut off, discuss reconnections, and determine eligibility for assistance programs. Pepco representatives can also discuss payment options, like budget billing, which averages payments over a 12-month period to help customers manage their monthly energy bill, or flexible payment arrangements that offer individually tailored payment installment plans.
Throughout the year, Pepco offers many other programs to help customers manage their energy costs and save money. Existing assistance programs include:
• Low-income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP): A federal grant program to help low-income customers manage their energy costs and ensure service during the heating season.
Other programs supporting District customers include:
• The Utility Discount Program (UDP) assists low-income District residents to reduce their utility costs. Eligible customers may receive a discount of up to $475 per year on their electric bill ($300 per year if non-electric heat). District residents can visit the Department of Energy and the Environment website at doee.dc.gov to apply online.
• The Greater Washington Urban League provides up to $500 in assistance to eligible customers in District facing disconnection. Customers can call 202-265-8200 or visit www.gwul.org.
Other programs supporting Maryland customers include:
• The Electric Universal Service Program (EUSP) helps eligible customers pay for a portion of their current electric bill. The Arrearage Retirement Assistance (ARA) program helps customers with large, past due electric and gas bills. If eligible, customers may receive forgiveness of up to $2,000 towards their past due bill. The Utility Service Protection Program (USPP) is designed to help low-income families during the heating season. Information regarding these programs can be found on the Maryland Department of Human Services Office of Home Energy Programs website or by calling 1-800-332- 6347.
• Income eligible Montgomery County residents can receive energy assistance from Interfaith Works by calling 301-762-8682.
Readers are encouraged to visit visit The Source, Pepco’s online newsroom. For more information about Pepco, visit pepco.com. Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/pepcoconnect and on Twitter at twitter.com/pepcoconnect. Our mobile app is available at pepco.com/mobileapp.
Pepco is a unit of Exelon Corporation (Nasdaq: EXC), the nation’s leading energy provider, with approximately 10 million customers. Pepco provides safe and reliable energy service to approximately 894,000 customers in the District of Columbia and Maryland.